Unfortunately, criminals actively target property purchases due to the high amount of funds involved. Their aim is to trick you into transferring your house deposit and/or the balance of purchase monies to them instead.
These schemes can be highly sophisticated, and almost always involve the criminals pretending to be your lawyer in order to con you into sending your payment to an account that they control.
Lawyers and their clients can all play a part in making such crimes more difficult for the criminals by being vigilant.
A reminder to our clients and conveyancing colleagues -
• our firm’s bank account details WILL NOT CHANGE during the course of a transaction
• we will not change our bank account details via email
• we never sent our bank details by email (we use post and fax)
• speak to your bank about the best way of transferring large sums of money
• keep your internet security systems updated
• if you get a suspicious email call us